Monday, June 16, 2008

portrait of eugene bock

Like many things in life, I fail at blogging regularly. I'm sorry! I am a bad child! I know! Anyway, I had to share what might be my new favorite painting that I saw in the Musee d'Orsay.

Ha, I had to write this for class, and its kind of corny... but here goes. I really love Van Gogh and this painting.

Portrait of Eugene Boch

Surrounded by so much ferocious beauty, it's nearly impossible to settle your eyes on one painting in the Van Gogh room. Colors melt and twist in storms of golden blue, the shapes of every day life whirl into the forms they've always been meant to take on, and reality starts to give way to transcendence. It's almost too much to bear.

However, with the possible exception of Van Gogh's fiery, electric-turquoise self-portrait, it is the portrait of Eugene Boch that finally takes you in. At first glance, it is the stark contrast in color sets him apart from the rest- blazing out from a dreary night sky, he radiates gold, lit by some divine inner light. It's as if one of Van Gogh's many sunflowers has come to life in a burst of yellow, explosive energy.

But contrasting with this light is an intense humanity. Look at his face, and see the saddened eyes; the cheeks which glow with gold are slightly emaciated, his nose is at wrong angles, gaunt and lean. This is the face of a saint who knows, who stares toward the painter, concerned and loving. While Boch's internal world is bright, he looks out with infinite sadness at those still wandering the dreary blue which lingers behind him.

No comments: